Total WickViews

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Relationships Series - Old Flames

Good morning to you!

This one will be quick.

It has happened to us all on Facebook, but it happened to me yesterday.

I received "that" friend request. Yes, I'm talkin' 'bout that one from the crush I had when I was in the 11th grade.
We were crazy about each other...........back in the day, of course. We never, however, entered into any type of relationship though, just phone contact. Naturally, that made the mental escapades even more vivid. Why, you ask? Well, it's quite simple. The less involved a person is, with a previous infatuation, the greater capacity one has to create a "perfect fantasy" in one's mind; because you don't have any 'horrrible endings' to draw from, only candy-coated imaginations. At any rate, we managed to keep in touch all the way up until 1994; two years, before my wife and I were wed. You know how the Facebook scenario goes. You see the little "people" icon highlighted, showing that you have a friend request. You click on it, and suddenly......"that" name appears. I was floored. At that moment, the Ghost of Crushes Past crept up, and began to take me on a psychological and emotional roller coaster. Every conversatinon, her perfume, every song, from the past replayed, simultaneously, in my handsome, egg-shaped cranium. I buckled for a moment and regrouped.

Isn't it amazing how the voices from your body and mind never take into account, the gravity of your current circumstance and commitments? You just fly away.......at least I did. for about 8 munutes.

But, fortunately, thanks to God and the great spiritual mentors that I have, I was able to pull, from my self help medicine bag, a secret weapon that hasn't failed me yet. 'Wanna know what it is? Relax alright!!! I'm gonna tell you........

It is a question...........and it is as follows:

"If I pursue what my body and mind are telling me to pursue, what will be the consequences?"

At this point, I am able to usher in images of my reality. My wife, eight children and all the memories we've created over the past 18 years begins to crystallize.............and Wick Dad0y is back home safely from his short trip to Pleasure Island.

It is my sincere hope that you were able to grasp something my brief rendezvous with deja vu.

But now that I've gone back and absorbed everything in this blog entry, I have just one question for you.

Is it me, or did this stroll down memory lane seem longer than eight minutes to you too???????????

Wick is exiting the building.


Copyright 2011 - "The Dr. Wick Daddy Show!"

Dr. Wick Daddy
Check our Dr. Wick Daddy on Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Bro. That was deep. My Favorite line "The less you were involved with a previous infatuation, the greater capacity one has to create a "perfect fantasy" in one's mind; because you don't have any 'horrrible endings to draw from, only candy-coated imaginations."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm 8 minutes was too long....that's like a minute for each of your children...lol...I'm j/k...I love this blog. It's so real and I appreciate you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Wick Daddy,

    You are a wise man - keep that wisdom flowing. But just FYI, next time, tell your pretty wife and she will take care of the matter for you immediately. :)
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lives are a fountain of happenings are they not? Wow, as I read yours I remembered some of the times I clicked and it came back for me. A minute for each kid and still at home with Nipa; you're the Best! We all reflect; it's the present and future visions that make us whole, though. Go WickDaddy.. ahh I remember when we were children and didn't know a thing.. and now Look! Who says Gen X can't be sober, thoughtful, expressive, and contemplative... Loved this one. N

    ReplyDelete